Sunday, January 31, 2010

Thaipusam 2010

If I can remember, I've skipped about three Thaipusam's shoot from my last session. I've been putting off to attend this event for years and this year I made myself go. It was a beautiful day, the week's weather was good with blue sky and I didn't want to miss that for the world. Besides, it's probably a good time and place to hook up with fellow photographers. There was no specific shot that I wanted to take. I just wanted to go as an observer and look out for any interesting photos. Thanks to my good friend and photography associate, Chan (Chan Leong Hin), I got some advice on some of the good spots, energy conversvation tips and a good ol' chat to catch up on news. It took me a while to upload these images yesterday, perhaps because a thousand other photographers in Malaysia are trying to do the same thing and jammed up the internet line. Anyway, enough yapping, here are some of the photos I took. Enjoy!



Hindu devotees getting their hair shaved before beginning their walk up the stairs of Batu Caves. When I reached Batu Caves, this was one of the firsts shots I took.

A young Hindu devotee getting her hair shaved during Thaipusam.

I just found out about this new structure. It's the ramp that crosses the new operational railway track that terminates at Batu Caves. This is the original showering and Kavadi preparation area. Today, there's another location for this part of the Thaipusam preparation, which is on the other end, near the rail terminal.


Here's where the Hindu devotees shower after getting their hair shaved.


A Hindu devotee showering right after having his hair shaved, in preparation for the walk up the stairs of Batu Caves during Thaipusam.


A family of Hindu devotees preparing milk containers to be carried up the stairs of Batu Caves during Thaipusam.


Right after saying their prayers near the river at Batu Caves, a Hindu family prepares to carry the milk in stainless steel containers for the walk up the stairs of Batu Caves during Thaipusam


A Hindu couple saying their prayers on the riverside of Batu Caves during Thaipusam


Devotee in the state of trance during Thaipusam.


A Hindu devotee carrying milk in a stainless steel container on his head, walking towards the stairs of Batu Caves during Thaipusam.


Piercings on the back of a Hindu devotee, while performing the walk towards the stairs of Batu Caves during Thaipusam.


A Hindu devotee calmly getting ready to carry the Kavadi, while several men prepares the piercings on his back during Thaipusam at Batu Caves.


Men piercing the back of a Hindu devotee, who's about to carry the Kavadi during the walk up the stairs of Batu Caves during Thaipusam.


Piercings on the back of a Hindu devotee, before performing the walk towards the stairs of Batu Caves during Thaipusam.


Devotees taking a break.


Rythmic music accompanying the Thaipusam celebration. It's a very festive mood. I love the music.


I saw a man being lifted up amongst the crowd. Little that I know of what he, or shall I say they were up to.


A devotee walking on sharp blades during Thaipusam celebration at Batu Caves, Malaysia.


Last image for the day. Here's my good buddy, Chan Leong Hin. Fabulous travel stock photo photographer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis